At least 19 Chinese drugmakers have commenced work on the development of a vaccine for the novel coronavirus.
Data released by the China Association for Vaccines (中国疫苗行业协会) (CAV) indicates that as of 11 February at least 18 of its members were participating in the research and development of a coronavirus vaccine, including:
- Chongqing Zhifei (智飞生物) (300122 SHE)
- Hualang Biological Engineering Inc. (华兰生物) (002007 SHE)
- Liaoning Chengda (辽宁成大) (600739 SHA)
- BioKangtai (康泰生物) (300601 SHE)
- Walvax Biotechnology Co. (沃森生物) (300142 SHE)
- CanSino Bio-B (康希诺生物) (6185 HKG).
On 12 February Shandong Buchang Pharma (步长制药) (603858 SHA) also announced that subsidiary Zhejiang Tianyuan Shengwu Yaoye Co., Ltd. (浙江天元生物药业有限公司) had executed an agreement with the State Key Laboratory for Diagnosis and Treatment of Infectious Diseases (传染病诊治国家重点实验室), for the joint development of a coronavirus vaccine.
Drugs companies outside of China currently working on a coronavirus vaccine include Inovio and Moderna, while Australia’s University of Queensland and the Imperial College of London are also working on vaccines of their own.