The China Banking and Insurance Regulatory Commission (CBIRC) has highlighted key focal points for its work in the second half of 2022, which include improving the capital standing of regional banks an ensuring that real estate markets remain on an even keel.
The 2022 Mid-Year Work Conference and Discipline and Inspection Supervision Work Conference (2022年年中工作座谈会暨纪检监察工作（电视电话）座谈会) recently convened by CBIRC highlighted work points including:
- Supporting local government in the issuance of special bonds to improve small and medium-sized bank capital.
- Steadily driving reform and risk disposal in the banking and insurance sectors.
- Expediting the steady and healthy development of the real estate market.
- Deeply driving reform of rural credit societies.
- Driving disposal of the non-performing loans of small and medium-sized banks.
- Coordination of the prevention and disposal of local government hidden debt risk.
- Firmly striking against illegal financial activity.
CBIRC said that servicing the real economy and stabilisation of the macro-economy must occupy greater prominence of place, and that the financial sector must play a more effective counter-cyclical adjustment role.
In the second half of 2022 CBIRC will also seek to drive financing of the food and beverage, accommodation, tourism and transportation sectors, as well as expedite improvements to corporate governance at commercial banks and step up inspections and restraints on key shareholders.