China’s top planning authority has called for greater efforts to drive the development of the country’s digital economy and its further integration with the real economy.
On 16 February, officials from the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) published an article entitled “Strive to Promote Improvements to Economic Efficiency and Rational Quantitative Growth” (努力推动经济实现质的有效提升和量的合理增长) in Qiushi (求是), considered the leading theoretical journal of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
The NDRC articles calls for the accelerated development of China’s industrial system, with an especial focus on the increasingly critical role of new digital technologies.
“[China’s] new development conditions are based on the modern industrial system, and a smooth economic cycle requires the orderly linkage of various industries and efficient and smooth linkages and flows,” NDRC said in the article.
“[We] must accelerate the development of the digital economy, accelerate the implementation of key projects, and promote the deep integration of the digital economy and the real economy.”
Other measures outlined by the NDRC in the Qiushi article include:
- Deeply implementing China’s innovation-driven development strategy, improving the new national system, strengthening national strategic scientific and technological capability, and optimizing the allocation of innovation resources.
- Strengthening the development of basic scientific and technological capabilities, accelerating the formation of a national laboratory system, and accelerating the progress of key core technology research.
- In-depth implementation of the basic industrial reengineering projects.
- Support for the development of specialized and special new enterprises, and promoting the high-end, smart, and green development of the manufacturing sector.
- Consolidating China’s leading position in industries where it has advantages, such as clean energy vehicles.
- Strengthening strategic emerging industries such as artificial intelligence, bio-tech, and green and low-carbon industries.
- Promoting the deep integration of China’s modern service industry with its advanced manufacturing industry and modern agriculture.