The National Development and Reform Commission of the People’s Republic of China (中华人民共和国国家发展和改革委员会) (NDRC) is a department of the State Council which is responsible for researching and drafting China’s economic and social development policy and guiding reform of the macro-economic system.
|English name||The National Development and Reform Commission|
|Date of establishment||March 2003|
|Category||Cabinet-level department under the State Council|
|Parent agency||The State Council|
|Chief official||He Lifeng|
The NDRC’s professional responsibilities as outlined by the “Provisions on the Professional Role Assignment, Internal organisations and Personnel of the National Development and Reform Commission” (国家发展和改革委员会职能配置、内设机构和人员编制规定) are as follows:
- Draw up, organise and implement national economic and social development strategies, medium and long-term plans and annual plans. Lead and organise the creation of a unified planning system. Responsible for the coordination and interlocking of state-level specialist plans, regional plans, empty plans and state development plans, Drafting of draft versions of laws and regulations in relation to national economic and social development, economic system reforms and external opening. Formulation of departmental charters.
- Proposing overall targets, key missions as well as related policies for accelerating the establishment of a modern economic system and driving high-quality growth. Organising and undertaking assessment and guidance of major strategic plans, major policies and major policies, proposing related adjustments
- Overall proposal of key targets for national economic and social development, monitoring, pre-monitoring and pre-warming of macro-economic and social development states and trends, and proposal of macro-adjustment policy recommendations. Overall coordination of macro-economic policies, leading research into macro-economic response measures. Adjusting economic operation, coordinating the resolution of major problems in economic operation. The drafting, organization and implementation of related price policies, the organisation and drafting of the prices and key fee collection benchmarks for the small number of key commodities and services that the state manages. Participation in the drafting of fiscal policy, monetary policy and land policy.
- Guiding, advancing and providing comprehensive coordination of work in relation to the reform of the economic system, and making related reform proposals. Leading and advancing supply-side structural reforms. Coordinating and advancing reform of the property rights system and market-based allocation of factors of production. Driving and improving the creation of a basic economic system and modern market system, and organising and implementing the market-entry negative list system with relevant departments. Leading and advancing work for optimisation of the commercial environment.
- Proposing strategies, plans, overall balancing and structural optimisation policies for the use of foreign capital and offshore investment. Leading and advancing the creation of “Belt and Road.” Undertaking the overall coordination of work in relation to “Going Abroad.” Working with related department to propose foreign investment negative lists. Responsible for overall control, structural optimisation and monitoring work for full-bore foreign debt.
- Responsible for overall management of investment, drafting overall plans and structural adjustment targets and policies for full society fixed asset investment, and working with relevant departments to draft government investment project review and approval authorisations and government-approved catalogues of fixed asset investment projects. Arranging central fiscal construction funds, and examining, approving and review major projects in accordance with the provisions of the State Council, Planning major construction projects and productive capacity arrangements. Drafting, advancing, implementing and encouraging private investment policies and measures.
- Advance and implement regionally coordinated development strategies, new-model urbanisation strategies and major policies, and organising and drafting related regional plans and policies. Overall advancement and implementation of state major regional development strategies. Organising, draft and implementing development plans and policies for the elderly, children, the marginalised and impoverished as well as other regions of special difficulty, and organising and implementing relocation for poverty alleviation.Overall coordination of regional cooperation and reciprocal support work. Organising, drafting, advancing and implementing new-model urbanisation plans.
- Organising and drafting comprehensive industrial policies. Coordination of major problems in the development of primary, secondary and tertiary industries, and overall dovetailing of related development plans and key policies. Coordinating and advancing major infrastructure development plans, and organising and drafting as well as advancing and implementing strategic plans and key policies for the services sector and modern logistics sector. Comprehensive research and assessment of dynamic consumer trends, and the drafting and implementation of comprehensive policy measures to expedite consumption.
- Advancing and implementing strategics for innovation-driven development. Working with relevant departments to draft and advancing innovation and entrepreneurship plans and policies, and proposing policies for innovative development and cultivating new drivers of economic development. Working with relevant departments to plan and arrange major state science and technology infrastructure. Organising and drafting as well as advancing and implementing hi-tech sector and emerging strategic sector development plans and policies, and coordinating on key problems including industry upgrades, major technological installations and propagation of applications.
- Tracking, researching and assessing relevant risks and hidden dangers, and making related work recommendations. Responsible for the overall balancing and macro-adjustment of major commodities. Working with relevant departments in drafting state reserve commodity catalogues and overall development plans.
- Responsible for the dovetailing of social development and national economic development policies, and the coordination of related key problems. organising and drafting social development strategies and overall plans, and advancing the overall reform of the establishment of a basic public services system and income allocation system, and making policy recommendations for expediting employment, and improving the coordinated development of social welfare and the economy. Leading the development of a social credit system.
- Advancing and implementing sustainable development strategies, driving the establishment and reform of an ecological civilisation, and work for the coordination of environmental protection and recovery and energy resource conservation and integrated usage. Proposing energy consumption control targets and missions and organising implementation.
- Work with relevant departments in drafting and advancing coordinated development strategies and plans for the economy and national defence, and coordinated related problems. Organising the drafting of national economic mobilisation plans, coordinating and organising the implementation of work in relation to national economic mobilisation.
- Undertaking specific work in relation to the National Defence Mobilisation Committee, the State Council Western Regional Development Leadership Team, the State Council Leadership Team for the Revitalisation of the North-eastern Region and Other Old Industrial Bases, the Leadership Team for Work to Develop Belt and road, the Leadership Team for the Coordinated Development of Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei, the Leadership Team for Driving the Development of the Yangtze River Economic Corridor, the Leadership Team for the Development of the Macau, Hong Kong and Guangdong Greater Bay Area and the Leadership Team for Driving Comprehensive Deepening of Reform and Opening in Hainan.
- Management of the National Food and Strategic Reserves Administration and the National Energy Administration.
- The completion of other tasks as assigned by the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party and the State Council.
The NDRC is comprised of three types of internal entities – 29 division departments (机关司局), 29 directly subordinate affiliate units (直属联系单位) and 1 dispatch organisation (派驻机构).
The NDRC’s division departments include:
- The office (办公厅),
- The investment division,
- The infrastructure division,
- The economy and trade division,
- The national defence division,
- The policy research office,
- The foreign investment division,
- The industry division,
- The fiscal funds division,
- The assessment and supervision division,
- The planning division,
- The regional division,
- The hi-tech division,
- The pricing division,
- The agency party committee,
- The integrated division,
- The revitalisation division,
- The environmental resources division,
- The departure department,
- The operations department,
- The opening division (开放司),
- The social division (社会司),
- The international division (国际司),
- The system reform division (体改司),
- The agricultural economy division (农经司),
- The employment division (就业司),
- The human affairs division (人事司).