Banking sector, Chinese
As of the end of 2015 the total assets of China’s banking sector financial institutions was 199.3 trillion yuan, for year-on-year growth of 15.7% according to data from the China Banking Regulatory Commission.
Total liabilities for the sector were 184.1 trillion yuan, for year-on-year growth of 15.1%.
In descending order the following financial institutions accounted for the largest shares of banking sector assets: large-scale commercial banks, joint-stock commercial banks, rural small and medium-sized financial institutions, and municipal commercial banks, accounting for 39.2%, 18.6%, 12.9% and 11.4% of total sector assets respectively.
CBRC’s “Banking Sector Financial Institution Legal Person List” (银行业金融机构法人名单) further indicates that as of the end of 2015 China’s banking sector had a total of 4,262 legal person financial institutions employing approximately 3.8 million staff.
These banking institutions include:
- 3 policy banks.
- 5 large-scale commercial banks.
- 12 joint-stock commercial banks.
- 133 municipal commercial banks.
- 5 privately run banks.
- 859 rural commercial banks.
- 71 rural cooperative banks.
- 1,373 rural credit societies.
- 1 postal savings bank.
- 4 financial asset management companies.
- 40 foreign-invested legal person financial institutions.
- 1 Sino-German residential housing savings bank.
- 68 trust companies.
- 224 enterprise group financial companies.
- 47 financial leasing companies.
- 5 money management companies.
- 25 vehicle finance companies.
- 12 consumer finance companies.
- 1,311 village and town banks.
- 14 loan companies.
- 48 rural village mutual assistance societies.