Bank of Beijing and ING’s New Digital Bank to be China’s First Foreign Controlled Lender

99

Municipal lender Bank of Beijing is teaming up with Dutch financial giant ING to launch a digital bank in China.

The two parties plan to invest 3 billion yuan in the establishment of a new digital bank in China, with ING holding a 51% equity stake and Bank of Beijing the remaining 49%.

The joint-venture bank will be one of the first Chinese financial institutions in which an international investor holds a majority stake, following Beijing’s relaxation of restrictions on foreign ownership levels last year.

ING first acquired a minority equity stake in Bank of Beijing in 2015, and its ownership of the municipal lender currently stands at around 13%.

The Dutch financial giant plans to lift its investment in its Chinese bank branches in the near future, as well as double the number of its Chinese wholesale banking clients.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here